Sunday 27 August 2017

Word power

My last post disappeared.  I think I pressed the wrong button and saved a blank screen.  That feels a bit like my life at the moment.  My efforts often get lost through my ignorance or lack of understanding of how things work.  I had been writing about writing - why I felt the need to start a blog.  My aims had been to unclog my thoughts and connect with other people.  I haven't managed to achieve either of these two things yet.  Some of the lack of unclogging has been my reticence to be messy - I am more than a little wary of spilling too much angst in public.  So I have deleted draft posts about my silent tears when TD's glucose was 2.6 and the shiver of terror I felt, and I deleted the post about the month of 2am glucose tests that were very necessary to keep her safe.  Facing diabetes as a parent is scary and exhausting and ever present.  It changes family dynamics, redefines life goals, stretches the limits of trust and generally makes one more aware of the simplest things - like how foods, sleep, exercise, emotions all weave a complex web in our lives.

I find it frustrating when well meaning people offer glib and simplistic advice on a subject they know nothing or little about.  I know they all mean well.  I try to smile through it and take the good (that they are interested and concerned.)  I even try to tell them a little bit about what it is like to parent a T1 child.  Sometimes though the comments that say " Oh well, type 1 , type 2 same thing"  or "she'll outgrow it" or " does she still have to test and inject?" or "but she is so skinny" make me feel more isolated.  I am getting better at laughing off ignorance - there is so much I don't know, I can hardly be critical of others.  It has made me more sensitive in my own language use though - I try not to presume other people's feelings and ask rather than express an opinion.  So that's good!

So my "blank screen" is slowly filling up with text.  Hopefully I will not delete too many of my posts and will be able to create a conversation. Thank you for absorbing some of my angst.


2 comments:

  1. I am a mom of a 3 year old who has type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed at 18months. Although not a teenager I deal with most of the same comments. I just have come to know that many people are not educated about type 1 diabetes. I myself along with my family knew nothing about type 1 diabetes before our daughter was diagnosed. So patience has definitely been something to strive to attain.
    If you read my blog you can see that our family relies on our faith to get us through. I pray it's a blessed one for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tamika Thanks for the comment. Yes - learning about diabetes usually only happens when you need to know! I had a look at your blog - thanks for the link. Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete