Friday 4 August 2017

A learning curve

TD's (Teenage Daughter's) school experiences have been interesting.  My newly diagnosed daughter, in grade 6 at the time, ran across the playground at home time, with her arms outstretched gliding like an aeroplane and whooping, "Mom, I am high, I'm high."  There were several skew glances in our direction, and after we had shared the news that it was her glucose levels that were high, and she had drunk a glass or two of water, we left the playground, ignoring the raised eyebrows.  People do stop and stare.  TD refuses to hide her diabetes and happily tests and injects (into her stomach) in public.  A cute little girl in a beginner grade at the school saw her doing this and bravely asked the big grade 6 what she was doing, and TD patiently and using age appropriate language, explained about her pancreas, her lunch bag and her needles.  TD keeps her testing kit, insulin pens, glucose sweets, emergency contact card and info sheet in a cooler bag.  It gets hot here in sunny South Africa, and insulin needs to be kept below 23 degrees C.  This bag is her constant companion, and her (and my) Linus blanket.

TD's grade 6 and 7 class teachers were incredibly kind, compassionate and sensitive.  Both managed to both keep an eye on TD and give her the space she needed to be independent and self confident in her diabetes management.  I spoke to the staff about diabetes generally and TD specifically, and felt a great deal of comfort knowing she was in a safe environment.  It is  not easy letting go of a newly diagnosed diabetic and trusting the universe in her safe keeping. Happily the instances where I was needed at school were few.  Exam times, and the stress associated with them, brought on roller-coasting glucose levels.  Once I was called to the pool for an unspecified problem.  (It took me about three hours to calm my heart rate after that phone call - and the problem was not big.  I have learnt to ask for specific details when phoned, and not just to react and jump in the car - a learning curve for me.)

The Phys Ed teacher also looked after TD with great care, making sure her glucose levels were in the right bands for exercise both before and after sport. I do not take these things for granted.  I am so grateful to the good people who have helped TD gain her confidence, manage her everyday issues and get on with life.  I think she reciprocated their attitude by teaching them about resilience, bravery and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment