Friday 1 February 2019

Adulting

Well, there went January.  All of a sudden the year has truly and properly started.  TD's annual school band camp has come and gone, and she handles these times away with growing confidence.  I am getting a bit better too, and once she and I had set out a plan (SMS her glucose number to us at 6.30am, 9pm and 1.30am...) I felt, if not completely confident, more reassured that the weekend would be ok.

The view from our stoep at Wellington
Andrew and I decamped nearby in Wellington and caught up with our reading, chatting, knitting and relaxing, spending long lazy hours near the pool or admiring the calm surrounding. It was just what we needed. Especially the chatting.





Energy is still in short supply here, and on Monday the T-shirt slogan that became popular a few years ago, suddenly made sense :  "I can't Adult today." When I first saw it, I had to ask the kids what it meant and they patiently explained that the youth of today are quite happy to use nouns as verbs. I find a lot of grammar usage strange these days.  But it all made sense on Monday :  I could do with a patch where I don't have to shoulder quite so many responsibilities, where I can doodle pictures, play in the garden, nap in the afternoon and have frank discussions with other children about bugs and whose cat has the louder purr.

TD's year has started with gusto - her extramurals keep her busy everyday.  She is taking the academic year with the seriousness that grade 10 demands, and she is handling it all with grace and wonky sugar levels.  There are so many factors that affect her glucose number - tiredness and stress being two of the major ones.  But this is life -warts and all, so everyday we try to balance the scales of insulin and glucose.  Some days we triumph more than others.

This week the new Gucci campaign was launched.  It is called the Future is Fluid, and it features youngsters from around the world who are hoping to create a more tolerant society, particularly around gender issues.  If you know who you are looking for, you may spot TD in the background.
Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFUvLNL7E8Q.   I am beyond proud of TD and her desire to be part of a better world.

So I thought I would like to offer my campaign for a better world too.  I have decided that on those days that I "can't Adult"  I am going to change the definition of what it means to be an adult.
Andrew getting into the swing of Adulting
Who says care-free doodling, playing, napping and frank discussions are only for children.  I know I will be able to handle the hard stuff a whole lot better if I spend more time doing the playful stuff.  Keen to join me? - I am happy to share the box of crayons with you, and while we are colouring in outside the lines we can chat about the serious business of being an adult.  Or bugs and cats if you prefer!







No comments:

Post a Comment