Tuesday 27 November 2018

Another trip around the sun


Today is the 24th anniversary of one of the most joyful and momentous occasions in my life.  At 6.34am on a Sunday morning, I became a mother. My life changed forever.  The person we celebrate today is a Gentle Man – kind, compassionate, thoughtful and wise.  He is also gorgeous and exceedingly astute and determined. I admire him greatly and love him totally.

I also miss him, as he lives abroad at the moment.  We do speak when we can, but that isn’t quite the same as the casual comment type conversations of everyday living together.

He was an adorable baby, and we had so much fun learning how to play together, with him being the teacher to us adults of what is important in life and how to delight in every achievement.  Baby babble became precious words.  Words became concepts.  Concepts became theories.  Today he is a PhD Pure Maths student.  (Not that I am suggesting a linear progression of those things – I believe some concepts and theories happen before words.  Words are just a way of communicating them!)

This is a photo of him teaching Andrew the crucial art of play.  They both look quite different now, particularly with regards to hair styles 😊

He, being the elder child, was of course the prototype.  I look back now and think of all the things I would do differently. TD probably benefits from some of the lessons we learnt from the trial and error approach all parenting involves.  Parenting is a huge learning curve and children are the most patient teachers.  From dependency to independence, it is a journey of interweaving stories, past and present colliding, infinity becoming a possibility.  Becoming a parent felt to me like slotting the crucial piece into a jigsaw puzzle – the world suddenly made sense. 

It is not unusual for moms to think their offspring are the best in the world.  But the thing is – my two really are. 

What a journey this has been and continues to be.  Thank you, R and TD - as inadequate as those words are.  I love you both infinity plus one.



Happy birthday. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written and brings tears to my eyes. Your smile in the picture at the end sums up your blissful motherly satisfaction of completeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind response

    ReplyDelete